I’ve been editing toether a few gameplay videos recently (eg DayZ – Tread Lightly).I came across a rather perplexing error when trying to encode a long video. Basically, I have a few sequences of footage taken with FRAPS that together run to about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I created a project for these to run together as a reference for what a ‘typical’ DayZ session might look like. I also produced a ‘highlights’ version which is about 1 hour and 8 minutes long. After the latter, the oddness began.
The first ‘uncut’ set of footage encoded without issues, coming at around 20GB at a high bitrate. The upload of this to YouTube failed after 40 hours, so I decided to re-encode at a slightly saner bitrate and put in a fancy title rather than the overlaid title cards. Before queuing that to encode, I finished off the highlights video, which has sections sped up (between ~800-1700%) to get rid of the boring stuff. Here’s where the encoding problems began.
Encoding the highlights clip took much longer than expected, and it seemed to encode further than the 1hr 8min mark up to 2 hr 45 mins (the uncut length). Subsequently, the encoding of the sightly-modified uncut video produced a file that wouldn’t play. Trying various permutations of codec settings wouldn’t produce playable files. None of VLC, ffmpeg or medinfo could identify the problem videos.
Producing short clips (eg a 2 minute sample) from either video worked fine, so I split the highlights video into 10-minute segments to see if there was a problem in a section of the timeline. All segments encoded normally, which was a surprise. What was a bigger surprise was that using Premiere to concatenate those clips failed with a similar problem!
At that stage I gave up on getting these videos to work in Premiere. Other videos, eg my Let’s Play of FTL worked fine in the interim. I’m now using a frameserver to serve videos to MeGUI to encode using x264. Details will hopefully follow if it works.
Update: fixed! The recently-released FTL by Subset Games has a problem with the 12.8 AMD Catalyst Drivers, whereby the jump map and enemy ships are not rendered See below) due to an issue with edge detection in anti-aliasing. The fix is to create a custom profile for FTLGame.exe in the Catalyst Control Center to over-ride the settings (support thread with instructions, and setting).
Update: Now with video!
(yes the overlaps the menu, but there’s not much interesting there anyway!)
I have an #android #troubleshooting query. I have an HTC Desire HD through 3 in the UK. When I go to open messages using the stock message application, it gives a “loading” spinner but never shows the messages. Inbox and notifications of new messages work fine, but I can’t load conversations. Example attached.
I found a thread from January with what appears to be the same issue, but the suggested solution is “wipe and re-import your messages”, which I’d prefer not to do (http://www.htcdesirehdforum.com/htc-desire-hd-troubleshooting/text-messages-won%27t-load/).
The media browser on my LG TV has been acting up recently. Instead of listing the categories set up in Plex it pops up a dialog saying “Warning: Not Found”. It does this despite being able to see the Plex Media Server (going to ‘bowse sources’ or similar brings up the server’s name but selecting it gives the same error).
Fortunately Dunhillsmoker on the Plex forums had a solution:
Stop plex service – sudo service plexmediaserver stop
In Plex Plugins directory remove System and Framework bundle directories:
Mousing to the “hot corner” in Cinnamon gives an overview of current workspaces, à la expose. Unfortunately a careless click can close one of those workspaces, as I found out last night. Equally, you may feel that the default 2 workspaces is too few and wish to expand upon that. Now, I think the numvber of workspaces should increase automatically*, but it’s nice to control such things. Unfortunately there is no “control panel” option to control the number of virtual desktops, and right clicking the workspace changer widget in the toolbar doesn’t seem to have any useful effect.
However, hit Ctrl+Alt+Down and there should be a ‘+’ icon on the right hand side which will add as many workspaces as you require.
Project Euler problem 25 is reasonably straighforward. It asks you to find the first term in the Fibonacci sequence with more than 1000 digits. In ones like these, not reading the question properly is more likely to be your downfall than anything else. So:
Give the number of the first term which has 1000 digits, not the 1000-digit number itself
Make sure your Fibonacci number generator gives you the sequence correctly: ie F(1)=1 and F(2)=1. If you have F(1)=1 and F(2)=2, you’ll be off by one!
Lastly, and this only really applies to my own thickness… If the comment for your Fibonacci number generator says “returns nth Fibonacci number”, make sure it returns the nth Fibonacci number and not a Fibonacci number less than n.
If you’re getting a number greater than 5000 you’re off, recheck. Good luck!
Changing the first line to root (hd0,0) and adding initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64 allowed the system to boot normally. I’m not sure why grub-setup didn’t add the initrd line, but I can forgive that as it’s working now.
Remember to update grub’s config once you have it booting.
Because I keep forgetting, here’s a reminder to myself of the correct way to iterate through files and directories in bash, even considering spaces in filenames, whith a hat-tip to Thomas Howard Uphill:
find . -type f|grep .ext$ |while read file